Bedwetting is nobody’s fault – it’s a common medical problem that can and should be treated.
Did you know bedwetting affects 20% of all 5 years olds and 10% of 7 year olds? There are 2 main reasons why children wet the bed:
- they either make too much wee at night
- or they have a problem holding onto it whilst they sleep.
Bedwetting in children
Bedwetting is common and often runs in families. It can be upsetting, but most children and young people will grow out of it. See a GP or school nurse for advice.
Things you can do at home to help with bedwetting
- give your child enough water to drink during the day
- make sure your child goes to the toilet regularly, around 4 to 7 times a day, including just before bedtime
- agree with your child on rewards for positive actions, such as a sticker for every time they use the toilet before bed
- use waterproof covers on their mattress and duvet
- make sure they have easy access to a toilet at night
- do not punish your child – it is not their fault and can make bedwetting worse
- do not give your child drinks containing caffeine, such as cola, tea and coffee – this can make them pee more
- do not regularly wake or carry your child in the night to use the toilet – this will not help in the long term
Bedwetting in young children is normal
Many children under the age of 5 wet the bed.
It can take some time for a child to learn to stay dry throughout the night.
Causes of bedwetting
There are many reasons why a child might wet the bed. Causes include:
- not feeling the need to pee while sleeping
- making too much pee at night
- stress at home or at school
Bedwetting may also be caused by an underlying health condition such as diabetes or constipation.
Further advice and support
For further support please contact a member of the Cheshire East Bladder and Bowel Service (Children).
For further support please contact a member of the Paediatric Continence Service
For further support please contact a member of our Children’s Continence Service.
For further support please contact a member of our …