You don’t need to be in hospital to receive nursing care.
Every day our Community Nurses carry out visits to people who need nursing support and our fully integrated Community Nursing Service provides healthcare to patients in their own homes and in clinics.
We help people to remain as independent as possible, maintaining comfort and dignity. We have more than 380 staff, including registered and non-registered nurses, and some with advanced practice (i.e. Community Matrons).
Community Nurses care for patients with a wide range of health problems, from wound care and acute illnesses to those with complex or long term health problems, including end-of-life care. They also provide short-term intensive care to try and help patients avoid going to hospital where appropriate.
They work closely with Wirral GPs, social care, other health professionals, the voluntary sector, patients and carers. By working together we can make sure patients have all the care, help and support they need.
What to expect
Our nursing staff will:
- assess what your health needs are and agree your plan of care with you. They may refer to social services if required
- offer advice, information and support to help you understand your condition, and how to manage it
- provide information and support for carers (including family members)
- care for patients with illnesses that can’t be cured (eg end of life care)
- manage long-term conditions in order to reduce avoidable hospital admissions
How to access the service
We have an open referral system for anyone over the age of 18. This means that as long as you are over 18 and have a Wirral GP, you can refer yourself, or be referred by anyone else that thinks you may require our care and support. Opening times:
The service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
GPs can refer using the referral form
8.30am – 5.00pm (Monday to Friday) please contact your team at the relevant base below.
5.00pm – 8.30am (including weekends and bank holidays) please ring 0151 514 2222 and select the relevant option.
Community Nursing Services are part of the Integrated Care Coordination Hubs in four areas:
- West Kirby Team, The Concourse, Grange Road, West Kirby, CH48 4HZ T: 201 4195
- The Warrens Team, The Warrens Medical Centre, Arrowe Park Road, Wirral CH49 5PL T: 0151 514 2824
- Parkfield and Bebington Team, Eastham Clinic, Eastham Rake, Wirral, CH62 9AN T: 0151 514 2665 or
T: 0151 327 3061
- Claughton Team, Paxton Building, Claughton MC, 161 Park Road North, Birkenhead, Merseyside, CH41 0DD T: 0151 514 2878
- St Catherine’s Team, St Catherine’s Health Centre, Birkenhead, CH42 0LQ T: 0151 645 9646