You don’t need to be in hospital to receive nursing care.
Every day our Community Nurses carry out visits to people who need nursing support and our fully integrated Community Nursing Service provides healthcare to patients in their own homes and in clinics.
We help people to remain as independent as possible, maintaining comfort and dignity. We have more than 380 staff, including registered and non-registered nurses, and some with advanced practice (i.e. Community Matrons).
Community Nurses care for patients with a wide range of health problems, from wound care and acute illnesses to those with complex or long term health problems, including end-of-life care. They also provide short-term intensive care to try and help patients avoid going to hospital where appropriate.
They work closely with Wirral GPs, social care, other health professionals, the voluntary sector, patients and carers. By working together we can make sure patients have all the care, help and support they need.
What to expect
Our nursing staff will:
- assess what your health needs are and agree your plan of care with you. They may refer to social services if required
- offer advice, information and support to help you understand your condition, and how to manage it
- provide information and support for carers (including family members)
- care for patients with illnesses that can’t be cured (eg end of life care)
- manage long-term conditions in order to reduce avoidable hospital admissions
How to access the service
The criterion to access the Community Nursing service is:
Patients who are housebound and those who are deemed to need care delivered within the home.
The service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
NB: non-housebound patients with active leg ulcerations who require compression, or patients requiring 3-6 monthly Dopplers whose leg ulcer has healed and who require Community Nurses to remeasure for compression hosiery, will be required to attend a leg ulcer clinic.
Referrals from health and care professionals
All new referrals for the Community Nursing and Specialist Nursing Services will be assessed by the specialist team within the Single Point of Access Service (SPA).
SPA is staffed by nurse clinicians and non-clinical call handlers.
Please direct any new referrals, including Integrated Community Care Team and Nurse Practitioner for Older People referrals, to the dedicated Single Point of Access inbox – email@example.com
The team will only accept referrals from professionals via email.
Referrals are triaged and assessed based on the needs of the patient and aims to prevent unnecessary hospital admissions.
The service is continuing to accept self referrals for anyone over the age of 18 and registered with a Wirral GP. All referrals must meet the above criteria.
Residential and Nursing Homes please continue to contact teletriage in the usual way, in order to access nursing services.
The referral form below must be completed when making a referral. Health and care professionals can refer into the service using the referral form. Please email completed referral forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
We have an open referral system for anyone over the age of 18. This means that as long as you are over 18, have a Wirral GP and meet the above criteria, you can refer yourself, or be referred by anyone else that thinks you may require our care and support.
To make a self referral or to refer a loved one please call 0151 514 2222 (option 1)
If you are already receiving care from a Community Nursing team, please contact the team directly on the contact number which will have been given to you.
Community Nursing Services are part of the Integrated Care Coordination Hubs in four areas:
- West Kirby Team, The Concourse, Grange Road, West Kirby, CH48 4HZ
- The Warrens Team, The Warrens Medical Centre, Arrowe Park Road, Wirral CH49 5PL
- Parkfield and Bebington Team, Eastham Clinic, Eastham Rake, Wirral, CH62 9AN
- Claughton Team, Paxton Building, Claughton MC, 161 Park Road North, Birkenhead, Merseyside, CH41 0DD
- St Catherine’s Team, St Catherine’s Health Centre, Birkenhead, CH42 0LQ
- New Brighton Team, Victoria Central Health Centre, Mill Lane, Wallasey CH44 5UF
- Pasture Rd Team, Moreton Community Clinic, Pasture Road, Moreton CH46 8SA
- Liscard Team, Victoria Central Health Centre, Mill Lane, Wallasey CH44 5UF