Who we are
Single Point of Access supports Wirral GPs and Health Professionals in providing easier access to hospital and community services and social care.
The service is staffed by nurse clinicians and non-clinical call handlers. Referrals are triaged and assessed based on the needs of the patient and aims to prevent unnecessary hospital admissions.
Referrals can be received from GPs, health care professionals and social services.
The service is available seven days a week 8.00am-8.00pm.
The team take referrals by telephone. Tel 0151 514 2222*
*if you encounter any issues accessing the team via option 2, please use a mobile phone.
- Community Nursing and Specialist Nursing Referrals Only
All referrals into the Community Nursing and Specialist Nursing Services must be made using the dedicated referral form below and emailed to email@example.com
What happens after referral?
- All telephone calls are triaged using clinical knowledge to ensure the patient is directed to the most appropriate department
- The patient’s information is relayed to the department in a timely way
- Key clinical questions are asked as part of the patient assessment
- Clinical pathways are discussed with the referrer e.g. GP
- Hospital bed-state is monitored and the team manage patient flow to inpatient departments
- The team can facilitate transportation for any admissions
Who is suitable?
- Patients that would need hospital admission within two-hour or same day period
- Patients must be 16 years of age or over
Who is unsuitable for referral?
- Referrals that can be effectively managed by standard social or health care services within the timeframe required
- Long-term conditions and adaptations – these are managed by Adult Social Care Occupational Therapy Team
- Patients requiring IV antibiotics, respite or end of life care
- A care home resident who is not at risk of hospitalisation* *Rehabilitation at Home offers a service into residential homes.
Consent must be gained by the GP prior to referral as patient details will be shared within the Multi-Disciplinary Team.
Part of Single Point of Access and Referral to Community Services Integrated Gateway Team (SPARCS)