Our Specialised Dental Service is for patients whose needs mean they find it difficult to access treatment with a General Dental Practitioner. These may include:
- Children with extensive untreated tooth decay who are particularly anxious or uncooperative
- Children with physical or learning disabilities or complex medical conditions
- Children referred for specific treatment
- Adults with complex needs who have a proven difficulty in accessing or accepting care in general dental services, including adults with moderate and severe learning and physical disabilities or mental health problems
- Adults with medical conditions who need additional dental care
Our dentists and dental nurses also provide short term specialist dental care (such as sedation and general anaesthesia) for patients referred by their regular dentist, and are highly experienced at treating patients with learning disabilities, physical disabilities, mental health problems, dental phobias and anxieties.
The team is based in four clinics that have specialist equipment such hoists and a wheelchair tippers (for patients who find it difficult to transfer into the dental chair) and are fully compliant t Disability Discrimination Act compliant clinics.
Domiciliary assessments and advice are also available for patients referred by their General Dental Practitioner or other agencies. Follow up treatment will be carried out in a dental clinic where specialist equipment is available.