What we do
The Health Visiting Service in Knowsley delivers the Healthy Child Programme to all parents and families of pre-school children.
Our team includes health visitors, community health nurses and nursery nurses. They are specialists in child health and development and provide a range of information, support, and advice to ensure families are fully supported to give their children the best possible start in life.
Working closely with parents we provide:
- antenatal visits
- new birth visit – advice and support in caring for a new baby (10-14 days old)
- contact at 4-8 weeks, 9-12 months and 2-2 ½ years – including physical and developmental reviews at 9-12 months and 2-2½ years
- support for specific issues such as postnatal depression
- one-to-one breastfeeding support
- feeding, weaning and dental health advice
- support and advice on family health and minor illnesses
- emotional and mental wellbeing support
- child safety advice
- sleep or behaviour concerns
- parenting support
- information about other services and community groups (e.g., Children’s Centres, breastfeeding support groups)
- referrals into specialist services e.g., Speech and Language Therapy, Bladder and Bowel Service
Additional support also focuses on:
- maternal mental health and wellbeing
- parenting issues
- families at risk of poor outcomes
- complex health needs
- safeguarding needs
How to access the service
Midwifery and GP services share your details with us, with your consent, so that we can contact you to offer our service.
You can contact your local health visiting team Monday – Friday, 9.00am – 5.00pm on 0151 514 2666.
Useful links and resources
- BookStart – book recommendations and games for under 5-year-olds
- Child Accident Prevention Trust – downloadable Parents’ Pack aimed at helping parents identify the key risks of accidents and help prevent them
- iCan – the children’s communication charity. Helping children develop the speech, language and communication skills
- Find your local Children’s Centre
- Start4Life – help and advice for a healthy and happy baby / child
- Knowsley – special educational needs local offer information
- The Lullaby Trust – safer sleep for babies
- Safer Sleep (0-3 month)
- Safer Sleep (3-6 months)
- Safer Sleep (6-12 months)
- Safer Sleep (1-2 years)
- Safer Sleep (2-3 years)
- Safer Sleep (3-5 years)
The Health Visiting Service is part of the 0-25 Health and Wellbeing Service in Knowsley.