In partnership with our school nurses, Brook deliver an education programme around positive sexual health relationships and risk taking behaviour in order to reduce teenage conception and chlamydia rates.
The programme covers:
- sexual consent
- methods of contraception and infections
- condom use
- pregnancy testing options – counselling if positive, support into the termination of pregnancy pathway if appropriate, post procedure counselling
- chlamydia testing and treatment
- emergency hormonal contraception
- first line contraception and follow up provision
- age appropriate introduction to community sexual health services
Barnardo’s work with partners including schools and the local authority to identify children and young people who are in need of early help and where appropriate provide support to improve their life chances and prevent abuse and neglect. They also refer and signpost to the appropriate specialist services when needed.
Their service offer includes:
- a range of health promotion programs covering emotional wellbeing, tobacco control/smoke free and substance misuse
- one-to-one and / or group work to promote the importance of positive emotional health and wellbeing and the negative factors involved in risk taking behaviour, including alcohol and substance misuse, self-harm and sexual activity