What we do
Podiatry is a specialist area of healthcare which involves the care and maintenance of foot and lower limb conditions. Our podiatry team offer the very best in foot healthcare providing the complete solution for foot care and foot related problems. We specialise in providing assessments and treatments that are focused on relieving symptoms and pain, improving function, preventing disease and improving independence and well-being.
We offer a comprehensive range of assessments and treatments which include:
- annual diabetic foot screening for ‘at risk’ and ‘high risk’ diabetic patients (in line with NICE guidance
- domiciliary care (for patients who meet the criteria for home visits)
- biomechanical assessments and provision of foot orthoses (insoles) to treat a variety of chronic biomechanical conditions and abnormalities (Photos added)
- corrective nail surgery to provide a permanent resolution for painful and/or infected in-grown toe nails
How to access the service
Patients must be referred into the service by their GP. Referrals are accepted from any Wirral GP.
On receipt of the referral, it is then triaged and allocated to the most appropriate specialist in order to best manage the patient’s needs.
For all podiatry documents and resources from the Trust, please visit the Resource Library and use the category filter to select Podiatry. Resources from external organisations can be found below:
- The College of Podiatry – where you can find foot health advice and free leaflets to download and where to find a Podiatrist
- Diabetes UK – which has handy guides for taking care of your feet and spotting signs of any complications
- Arthritis Research UK – if your podiatry problem is related to arthritis, this website contains useful information and tips for managing the condition
- The Circulation Foundation – has information on peripheral arterial disease (PAD) and how to look after your vascular health
- Raynaud’s Association – for information about footcare in relation to Raynaud’s
- NHS website – which has lots of useful general information about looking after your health and wellbeing including topics such as falls prevention, weight management, and help and guidance on quitting smoking
The Podiatry Service delivers services from a number of different community clinics and GP practices with its main community hub located at:
St Catherine’s Health Centre
Specialist Service Lead