Standard infection control precautions: national hand hygiene and personal protective equipment policy is a national policy and practice guide for NHS healthcare staff of all disciplines in all care settings. It covers responsibilities for organisations, staff and infection prevention and control teams. It also sets out how and when to decontaminate hands.
The national policy aims to:
- support a common understanding (making the right thing easy to do for every patient, every time)
- reduce variation in practice and standardise care processes
- improve how knowledge and skills are applied in infection prevention and control
- help reduce the risk of healthcare-associated infection
- help to align practice, education, monitoring, quality improvement and scrutiny
The following policies have been produced by Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust, and describe the precautions and control measures that are essential to prevent and control infection in care home settings and general practice.
Please note, Wirral Community Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust have adopted these policies for use in care homes and general practices only.
They are NOT to be used by employees of Wirral Community Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust – please refer to Wirral Community Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust staffzone for trust policies.