Diabetes Smart is a free course to support local people living with type 1 and 2 diabetes.
The free course is facilitated by our trained professionals. It’s an opportunity for people to learn about making positive lifestyle changes and managing their pre diabetes and type 1 and 2 diabetes.
Our free and informative course is designed to help people:
- think smart – differently about their diagnosis
- act smart – make informed choices (healthy eating, physical activity, self-care)
- live smart – manage their diabetes /pre-diabetes on a daily basis
How the course is delivered
It’s recommended that everyone who books onto the course attends a core session first. This session focuses on what diabetes is and how people can manage their condition.
Following attendance on the core session there are 7 practical modules people can choose from:
- healthy lifestyle: healthy food choices and support to manage weight (2 sessions, 2 hrs per session)
- carbohydrate awareness: what carbohydrates are and how they affect blood glucose levels (2 hr session)
- reading and understanding food labels: using food labels to guide food choices (1.5 to 2 hour session)
- keeping well with diabetes: how to prevent potential health problems linked with diabetes (2 hour session)
- physical activity: benefits of physical activity and ways to get more active (1.5 to 2 hr session)
- review session: opportunity to review how people are managing their pre diabetes/diabetes, revisiting ways of managing the conditions and sharing top tips (2 hr session)
Download the Diabetes Smart leaflet
Feedback from people who have attended the course:
William from West Kirby, who had type 2 diabetes, has attended our course and since making some small lifestyle changes his blood glucose has dropped from 52 to 42.
He said, “Diabetes Smart helped me to understand that type 2 diabetes was linked to the sugar levels in the blood and not to your actual sugar intake. The programme has helped me make changes to my lifestyle; I’ve cut down on alcohol and I follow a strict diet. I found the carbohydrate awareness session really useful – it made me aware of what carbohydrates are and how they affect blood glucose levels. I’ve lost over four stone – an achievement I’m really proud of. I feel more active and a lot happier.
I’d recommend Diabetes Smart to everyone. You learn things you don’t think about and are encouraged to try different foods. It’s a very informative programme.”
Watch Barbara’s Diabetes Smart story below on YouTube – a video of Barbara’s experience of the Diabetes Smart programme and how it has helped her:
Barbara’s Diabetes Smart story
How to book a place on the course
You can now self-refer onto the course:
- Diabetes / IGR Referral form
- call the team on 0151 604 7271
Everyone who books onto the course can bring a friend or relative along (please inform the admin team when booking).
Referrals can also be made via a GP/healthcare professional
Nutrition and Dietetics
Victoria Central Health Centre
Tel: 0151 604 7271
Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 4.30pm