Changes to the service due to COVID-19
We will continue to offer Speech and Language Therapy support to address patients’ needs. Our services have been reviewed and are offering alternatives through the use of telephone and virtual appointments where possible.
Those with more complex needs that require a face to face appointment will continue to be supported at home and our staff will use the appropriate PPE. We are being guided nationally and responding accordingly to the pandemic.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Speech and Language Therapy service on 0151 604 7271 if you have any queries.
What we do
Our Adult Speech and language therapists assess and treat speech, language and communication problems in people of all ages to enable them to communicate to the best of their ability. They also support people who have swallowing problems (also known as dysphagia) to help them eat and drink safely and comfortably.
What we treat
The team work with people who experience communication and swallowing difficulties as a result of the following conditions:
- Learning disability
- Physical disability
- Neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s disease, Motor Neurone Disease, Multiple Sclerosis
- Cancer of the mouth and throat
- Brain tumour
- Head/brain injury
- Psychiatric disorders.
- ENT problems such a laryngopharyngeal reflux
The service has a fortnightly videofluoroscopy clinic which runs at Arrowe Park Hospital.
How to access the service
We accept referrals via the following routes:
- Adults with Learning Disability: referrals are made through the community learning disability team or GP/Medical Consultant
- Swallowing difficulties: referrals can be made by any healthcare professional
- Head and neck cancer: referrals can be made by any healthcare professional
- Voice disorders: referrals are made by an ENT surgeon or specialist voice therapist following laryngeal examination
- Communication difficulties: referrals are made by any healthcare professional or the individual/carer
The service is based at:
Victoria Central Health Centre
The Adult Speech and Language Therapy team see patients and service users in a variety of settings. We offer home visits to housebound patients as well as outpatient clinics across Wirral.
Your appointment letter will tell you which clinic location to attend.
Referral form – for health professionals only