What we do
STAR is a non-urgent free of charge service provided by health and social care workers who will assess an individual in their home to get a clearer idea of their needs and help them regain their independence.
How STAR can help
Assessment Re-ablement Officers will help increase the person’s confidence, find new ways to do things and offer encouragement and support. The programme of re-ablement will focus on everyday issues such as:
- washing and dressing
- advice on how to reduce the risk of falls
- helping the person cope with memory problems
- coping with practical tasks such as laundry and cooking
- getting around their home Prescribe small aids/equipment
- practice using specialised equipment
- supporting the person in getting into the habit of taking prescribed medication regularly
Referral to STAR is via the Central Advice and Duty Team (CADT) Tel: 0151 514 2222 – option 3
For general queries email: email@example.com
What happens after referral?
- The STAR First Contact Team will triage the referral and aim to contact the individual or their next of kin within one week to arrange a home visit
- A full Care Act Assessment of Needs will be undertaken by the Assessment Re-ablement Officer to look at the level of support required
- If eligible for services, the individual will remain under STAR for one to three weeks (maximum of six weeks), to allow time for them to regain their independence
- If longer-term services are required, these will be discussed with the individual and their family and the Assessment Re-ablement Officer will commission these services. Following a financial assessment, the person may contribute towards the cost of those services.
Who is suitable for referral?
- Anyone 18 years of age or over and living at home
- Individuals who need support services and assessment for short or long-term packages of care
- Any adult requiring specialist equipment, assistive technology, falls alarms or re-ablement to enable them to regain or maintain their independence
- Adults who have never had services before can be referred for assessment
- Individuals who have been an inpatient in hospital and need assistance to regain independence