From Saturday 1 July 2023, Adult Social Care services will be delivered directly by Wirral Council. The service was previously delivered by Wirral Community Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust.
There will be no change for people who use Adult Social Care services, or changes to points of contact. Any future changes to contact arrangements will be communicated in advance.
Please visit the Wirral Council website for more information.
POPIN is a free service to help people over 60 stay independent within their own home. Our POPIN team promote home safety, give advice on staying healthy, promote general wellbeing and help people access any benefits they may be entitled to. They can reduce a person’s need for domiciliary support or residential care and prevent their circumstances from deteriorating.
The service is open Monday to Friday, 9.00am – 5.00pm.
How to access
Anyone can refer someone to POPIN, as long as the individual being referred has given their consent. Health and social care professionals, families, carers and the third sector can all refer someone who they think may be suitable.
Referrals are made via the Social Services Central Advice and Duty Team (CADT) within Single Point of Access (SPA) Tel: 0151 514 2222 (option 3)
Suitable referrals are for anyone over the age of 60 requiring:
- an assessment for assistive technology equipment
- equipment to reduce risk around the home
- support to ensure they are claiming the benefits they may be entitled to
- information and advice about services that could help them stay safe in their own home (eg handyperson services, falls prevention)
- information about grants available (eg heating, insulation etc)
- support with referrals to Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service for home fire safety checks and smoke alarms
- information and support with applications for housing (sheltered and extra care accommodation)
- support to access services provided by other organisations (and if appropriate referrals to health services)
- support to access to private care agencies (for those who self-fund or wish to arrange their own care privately)
- help with carer assessments
- advice and support to access voluntary or befriending services
Please note POPIN is not suitable for people in nursing or residential homes or those who have existing services in place from Adult Social Care.
Once a referral has been made, a member of our POPIN team will visit on a day and time that is convenient to complete a needs assessment. They will provide advice and information about different services available and refer to any other appropriate services.
For general queries email: [email protected]
For GPs and Health Professionals
Download our professional factsheet with full details of the referral process and criteria. Link to GP and Health Professional Factsheet – POPIN
POPIN is part of Single Point of Access and Referral to Community Services Integrated Gateway Team (SPARCS).